Thursday, March 27, 2014

Selena Gomez's We Day California Speech = My Self Reflection

I was in the middle of eating lunch today when I heard a brief snippet of Selena Gomez's We Day California Speech on Fox11 News. Though it was just a small part of the 8 minute-ish speech, I was curious enough to go home and youtube it! In case you have watched it yet, here it is:


I don't think Selena knew how inspirational her speech would be... but it really impacted me and got me thinking about myself. Let's start with high school... I used to have a lot of friend during high school... but even back then, I realized that among all of my "friends", I found it tough to figure out who to eat lunch with. Weird right? I mean... if a person has a lot of friends, shouldn't it be easy choosing whom to eat with during lunch? Well that wasn't the case for me.... Since I've graduated high school and college, I've lost more then half the friends I used to have. Sometimes it really surprises me how many old friends I've lost, and of course just thinking about it brings me down sometimes. 

A moral of Selena's speech is to be you... to be none other than YOU. Selena mentioned that who you are is who you surround yourself with and I can't agree more. Just cause I got along with people, didn't mean that those friends were for me. I was trying to find myself back then, and deep deep deep down in my heart I think I kind of knew that those friends weren't for me... but I just didn't see it yet. That's exactly why it was hard for me to figure out who sit with during lunch, and that's exactly why those people and I don't contact each other anymore. It's not the amount of friends I have that matter, it's the quality of the friendship of the friends I still keep in touch with that matters. Though a lot of people came and left my life, I'm so so so thankful for those who stayed.  

Never try to be someone you're not. It's always good to improve yourself, but it's not good to change yourself just to please everyone around you... cause at the end of the day everyone's going to feel happy except for you. 

I really like Selena Gomez, but I've never been a huge fan of hers. What she said in her speech really inspired me and got me thinking about myself in the past, present, and future. I've been wondering why I've lost contact with my friends, and today I've truly found my answer, it's because during these few years, I've grown up, I've found myself, and I've been "me".  

2 comments:

  1. Truly inspiring! Though it's a very common concept(to be true to yourself), I think it is very hard to achieve! I heard a lot of people say "just be yourself", whether it is for an interview or how to act in front of a crush, but often times we ended up not being ourselves for whatever reason. I think it's the journey that everyone kinda has to take at their own pace. But no matter the pace, reaching there is the goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! It's good to know that you were inspired as well! =)

      Delete